You are here
Using Participatory Action Research to Improve Development Practice Course
Event: Using Participatory Action Research to Improve Development Practice Course
Venue: Indepth Research Services, Nairobi, Kenya
Event Date: 5th – 9th February 2018
Participatory action research is a way of engaging people living in poverty as agents of change. It is of particular importance to development practitioners today, as it can ensure their interventions are relevant, appropriate and inclusive. As such it is increasingly relevant for NGOs working in the global South or North, as they shift towards a more people-centered way of developing, delivering and assessing their projects and programmes of work.
This course is designed to provide participants with the conceptual and practical tools to design and carry out PAR in their own organizations and with their partners. It will also provide them with a practical understanding of how to achieve rigor using participatory methods.
This course will be interactive, participatory and applied. Prior to the course, participants will be asked to think of a critical question that they are dealing with in their work, or relating to their organization’s practice. Over the week participants and facilitators will explore this question, identify a PAR process appropriate for addressing their question, and learn how to manage this process. Participants will learn about a range of methods, and develop their ideas into a detailed plan that they will be able to put into action on returning to their organization.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This course is open to NGO practitioners, facilitators and change agents as well as donors developing evidence-based programmes.
By the end of the training, all participants will have designed a PAR process to address a key issue relating to their organizational and/or their own professional practice. They will:
• understand how to use appropriate PAR methods within this process
• have considered the ethical, political and practical challenges
• have clarity about further training and resources needed
• Understand how the contribution of their PAR process can improve their own and their organizational practice.
TOPICS TO BE COVERED
• Introduction to the theories and key approaches of PAR
• Analysis of the key concepts (in particular, participation, complexity, change)
• Introduction to ethics and care in PAR. We will relate these concepts to your own practice.
• Share and discuss case studies of using action research in international development.
• Examples will include: work on disability, citizenship, peace, slavery and bonded labor and the role of volunteers.
• Participant’s presentation and discussion of their own question in small groups.
• Training in action research design.
• Participants will design their own inquiry process with the support of peers and facilitators.
• Further training in managing the participatory research process including facilitation, recording, analysis, planning and monitoring.
Visit our website for more details.
How to participate
• Tailors make your course.
• Register individual.
• Register as a group.
• Become one of our partners.
• Purchase software’s
• Frequently asked Questions (FAQ’s)
View related courses
• Data Processing and Management using CSPro Course
• Data Management & Analyses for Surveys using Stata Course
• Data Management, Analysis and Graphics with R Course
• CSPro For Android and Smartphones Course
• Data Management, Graphics and Statistical analysis using SPSS Course
The most popular courses
• Food Security Analysis Course
• Nutrition Assessment and Survey using ENA/ EPIINFO Course
• International Training on Monitoring and Evaluation for Development Results
• Use of ICT Tools in Epidemiology Course
• Disaster Risk Reduction Course
• GIS and remote sensing in multi hazard early warning systems Course
• Procurement and Supply Chain Management Course
View course catalogue in Research Institute
For further inquiries, please contact us on Tel: +254 715 077 817, +254 (020) 211 3814, +254 731240802, +254 735331020.
Accommodation is arranged upon request. For reservations contact the Training Officer Email:[email protected]. Mob: +254 715 077 817 Tel: 020 211 3814
Payment should be transferred to IRES account through bank on or before C.O.B.29th January 2018
Send proof of payment to [email protected]