You are here
National TB Conference, Abuja 2019
ABOUT THE CONFERENCE:
The National TB Conference will bring together all stakeholders in Nigeria and international partners to discuss how to end TB in Nigeria.
Tuberculosis (TB) is among Nigeria’s top priorities, being among the top 14 countries with the largest burden of drug-susceptible TB (DS-TB) disease, multi-drug resistant TB (MDR-TB) and TB/HIV co-infection according to the World Health Organization’s (WHO).
Despite incremental progress in the quality of TB treatment and care over the years as evidenced by the 85% treatment success rate and 85% uptake of antiretroviral therapy (ART) among HIV-positive TB patients, the overall TB treatment coverage remains low at 25% in 2017, and case notifications have stagnated over the past five years. This situation translates to 75% of TB patients being missed annually. Of equally great concern to the TB program is the increasing gap in access to TB services to the pediatric population and other vulnerable groups.
Funding constraints has remained the key challenge towards combatting this deadly disease in Nigeria. The implementation of National Strategic Plan, NSP, for tuberculosis, will require about $336m to address TB challenges by 2020. The estimated gap in funding the strategic plan is put at about $215m (64%) . TB funding over these years has been driven by external funding sources. Stop TB Partnership Nigeria was established in 2007 to increase public awareness on TB; intensify advocacy and help mobilize additional resources (including human, technical, financial) from partners in the country and from international donors to support efforts to end TB in Nigeria.
OBJECTIVES OF THE CONFERENCE:
- Create an avenue to bring together all stakeholders in TB control, to improve synergy and to foster access to research, technologies and innovations in TB control in Nigeria.
- To stimulate new collaborations for home grown TB research and innovations
- Create awareness and promote best practices in TB programming in Nigeria
- Provide platform to foster the design of evidence based policies for improved TB control in Nigeria
- Registration is FREE only if registered ONLINE.
- DEADLINE for online registration is 10 July 2019
- ONSITE Registration will cost #10,000 Naira
- Registration gives you access to the conference venue and materials ONLY.
- Participants are responsible for their own transportation, hotel accommodation, feeding and any other cost.
CME UNITS: Attendance will earn you 10 CME Units
SPECIAL GUESTS (tbc):
- Her Excellency, Dr. Mrs. Aisha Muhammadu Buhari - Global TB Champion and Ambassador
- Dr. Tedros Adhanom - Director General, World Health Organization, Geneva
- Ambassador Dr. Eric Goosby - United Nations Special Envoy on TB
- Peter Sands - Executive Director, The Global Fund to fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, Geneva
- Dr. Lucica Ditiu - Executive Director, Stop TB Partnership, Geneva
- Dr Morti Matshidiso - Regional Director for Africa, World Health Organization
- Dr Marie Goretti - Head, Social Affairs Division, Africa Union Commission
- Dr Teresa Kasaeva - Director, Global TB Programme, WHO Geneva
- Dr. Jeremiah Chikaya - President, International Union Against Tobacco and Lung Diseases (IUATLD)
- Dr Cheri Vincent - Chief, Infectious Diseases Division, Global Health Bureau, United States Agency for International Development (USAID), Washington, DC
- Dr. Gidado Mustapha - Global Director, KNCV/Challenge TB, The Hague
For more information on the conference and ABSTRACT SUBMISSION, please click www.StopTBNigeria.org/NationalTBConference2019
For more information on sponsorship, exhibition and advert placement, please contact the Conference Secretariat. Phone: 08033345378, 08099933220; Email: [email protected]