You are here
MOBILE DATA COLLECTION USING ODK
RE: MOBILE BASED DATA COLLECTION USING ODK
Tech For Development-T4D would like to invite you to a high impact Training Course in Mobile Based Data Collection Using ODK to be held in Nairobi, Kenya from 30th September to 4th October 2019.
Course Name: Mobile Based Data Collection Using ODK
Venue: Tech for Development Training Center, Nairobi, Kenya
Event Date: 30th September to 4th October 2019
Course Fee: KES 75,000 OR USD 1,100
Registration: Register online
We are an international training, capacity building and tech solutions organization that offers tech solutions, scheduled and tailor made training and capacity building solutions to individuals and development agencies in Africa and around the world.
We provide our training programs with a capacity-building goal, so as to ensure that, our training programs contribute to sustainable change.
This course is suitable for people working in:
Impact Evaluation, Monitoring and Evaluation, Academic Research, Market Research, Field Research, Agriculture, Health, Education, WASH, Handicapped, Human rights, Emergencies/disasters, Advocacy, Education, Environment, Small business development, Community development, Rural development, Women, Youth, Population, Rehabilitation, Culture, Capacity Building, Appropriate technology, Income, generation, Private sector, Refugees/displaced.
Data collection has always been an integral part of development work. In the past, this task was performed with paper and pen, which made it prone to error, difficult to conduct on a large scale, and high in transaction costs.
ICT tools such as mobile devices and software that allows users to create surveys, collect, manage and upload data to storage facilities in real-time, have reduced the conventional challenges associated with remote data collection.
If you have always wanted to learn how to collect, manage and analyze project data using mobile devices, this training course is for you.
Who should attend?
This course is suitable for anyone who is interested in learning how to collect and manage project data using mobile devices.
This course is designed for participants who are reasonably proficient in English and have an understanding of basic ICT concepts.
The course will introduce participants to tools and techniques to collect data for projects/programmes using innovative Mobile data collection tools.
At the end of the course, you will become familiar with using ICT tools and methods to conduct data collection, statistical analysis and reporting.
Topics to be covered
• ODK Collect
• ODK Build
• ODK aggregate
• ODK Validate
• ODK Briefcase
• ODK XLSForm
• ODK Javarosa
• ICT Refresher
• Introduction to Mobile Data Collection (MDC)
• Benefits of Mobile Data Collection (MDC)
• Challenges facing Mobile Data Collection and their work around
• Introduction to the ODK ecosystem
• Introduction to basic ODK XLSForm syntax for survey authoring
Getting started – Survey authoring using ODK XLSForm
• Types of questions
• Data types for each question
• Types of questionnaire and Form logic
• Extended data types geoid, image and multimedia
Form Validation and Conversion for ODK
• Converting XLSForm to xml forms using ODK xlsform.
• ODK Validate for validating xml forms
• Troubleshooting common syntax errors
Device calibration (Mobile Phones/Tablets) – ODK Collect
• Introduction to ODK Collect
• ODK Collect installation and configuration
• Uploading forms into ODK Collect manually
• Downloading form into ODK Collect from ODK Aggregate server
• Hands-on Exercise
Hosting survey data (Online) – ODK Aggregate
• Introduction to Google app engine for ODK
• Introduction to ODK Aggregate
• ODK Aggregate – Download and setup
• ODK Aggregate administration and calibration
• Data analysis in ODK aggregate
Intermediate Survey Authoring for ODK
• New data types
• Notes and dates
• Multiple choice Questions
• Multiple Language Support
• Hints, metadata and more
• Conditional Survey Branching
• Required questions
• Constraining responses
• Skip: Asking Relevant questions
• The specify (other)
• Grouping questions.
• Skipping many questions at once (Skipping a section)
Advanced Survey Authoring for ODK
• Repeating a set of questions
• Special formatting
• Making dynamic calculations
• Survey Styling and formatting – Working with the appearance column
• Working with media files
• Cascading select
• External selects
• Conducting Longitudinal surveys
Form Design using web platforms
• KoBo ToolBox
• ODK Build
• Downloading data from ODK Aggregate
• Introduction to ODK Briefcase
• Download and setup ODK Briefcase
• ODK Briefcase calibration and administration
Presentation of course project by participants
This instructor led training course is delivered using a blended learning approach and comprises of presentations, guided sessions of practical exercise, web based tutorials and group work. Our facilitators are seasoned industry experts with years of experience, working as professional and trainers in these field.
All facilitation and course materials will be offered in English. Participants should be reasonably proficient in English.
How to register
To register online, click: Register Online
To view course, click: View Course
Accommodation is arranged upon request. For reservations contact the Training Officer.
Tel: +254 706909947
Email: [email protected]
The course fee is KES 75,000.00 or USD 1,100.00 exclusive of VAT. The course fees covers the course tuition, training materials, two (2) break refreshments, lunch and study visits. Participants will cater for their travel and accommodation costs.
Organizations who send more than three participants automatically qualify for a 10% discount.
Kindly visit this link to see video and photo testimonials of our previous training events.
Need more information? Kindly visit this link to see answers to frequently asked questions.
Tel: +254 706909947
Email: [email protected]
Customer Relationship Officer,
Tech For Development.
Innovation for impact