You are here
Food Security Analysis Course
Event: Food Security Analysis Course
Venue: Indepth Research Services, Nairobi, Kenya.
Event Date: 12th - 16th February 2018.
Before intervening in a country, the first priority for development actors is to understand the food security situation of the population. Food security analysts do a wide range of assessments in order to identify hungry and food insecure populations and to establish the underlying causes. They include Comprehensive Food Security and Vulnerability Analyses-CFSVAs, Emergency assessments and market analyses-EFSA.
To collect, manage and analyze data, they use advanced technologies such as satellite imagery, Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and mobile data collection platforms such as smartphones, tablets and Personal Digital Assistants.
Some actors for, for instance, are working with partners to establish Food Security Monitoring Systems (FSMS) for continuous monitoring of food security conditions and market prices. This five days training will expose the participants to several concepts in carrying out food security analysis.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This course is intended for various actors National governments, UN partners and NGOs whose work informs the policies and programmes that WFP and its partners adopt in order to fight hunger in different circumstances. Employees in the Agriculture Extension (Agricultural extension officers, senior agricultural officials and policymakers) working with communities, funding agencies, Research organizations and non-government organizations among others for Food Security and livelihoods support activities and other Development programmes.
By the end of the course, learners will be able to:
• Understand the concept of Food Security Analysis, have a mastery of its basic concepts.
• Gain knowledge on application of various approaches to Food Security interventions
• Understand the various methods in Food Security analysis and tools and be able to apply
• Conduct a community food security assessment; determine a community’s information needs and creating a community food security assessment team
• Have knowledge of policy issues in food security and how to analyze
• Use of GIS and remote sensing in food security analysis
• Monitoring and Evaluation in Food Security Programming
TOPICS TO BE COVERED
• An Introduction to the basic concepts of food security
• The causes of food insecurity and description on how to prepare and plan targeted food security interventions for the poorest sectors of a community.
• Food system resilience and indicators
• Preparation and planning of targeted interventions
• Types of food security assessment:
• Food Security Monitoring System (FSMS) Processes involved in analyzing food security situations Food Security contributing and non-food security contributing factors
Visit our website for more details.
How to participate
• Tailor Make a Course
• Register as an Individual
• Register as a Group
• Become One of Our Partners.
• Purchase software’s
• Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
View related courses
• Gender Approaches to Agricultural Extension Practices Course
• Resilient Livelihoods Course
• Livelihoods Assessment and Analysis Course
• Causes and Minimization of Post-Harvest Losses Course
The most popular courses
• Nutrition and Food Safety Course
• Data Management & Analyses for Surveys using Stata Course
• Result Based Monitoring and Evaluation Course
• Use of ICT Tools in Epidemiology Course
• Disaster Risk Reduction Course
• GIS and Remote Sensing for agricultural resource management Course
• Strategic Financial Management Course
View Agriculture, Food Security and Rural Livelihoods Development Institute Course Catalogue
For further inquiries, please contact us on Tel: +254 715 077 817, +254 (020) 211 3814, +254 731240802, +254 735331020.
Email [email protected]
Accommodation is arranged upon request. For reservations contact the Training Officer. Email: [email protected] Mob: +254 715 077 817 Tel: 020 211 3814
Payment should be transferred to IRES account through bank on or before C.O.B. 5th February 2018. Send proof of payment to [email protected]